The texture of air fryer soft pretzels is just how you get it at the mall. Make this take out treat in less than five minutes at home and use your favorite topping and dipping sauce. A simple treat that doesn’t take much energy and can easily be made for one or more people.
Tips and Tricks
What do you serve with frozen pretzels? Soft pretzels can be a snack or an appetizer. Serve them with your favorite chips, appetizers or any other snacky food you are craving.
When do you serve frozen pretzels? Soft pretzels are a great snack or treat for your next movie night, game night, sleep over, after school snack or watching your favorite sports game. A low energy appetizer that can keep your guests satisfied while you finish cooking dinner or a quick snack before you settle in to watch your nightly TV shows.
Can you reheat frozen pretzels? Reheat frozen pretzels for two minutes at 360 F or until warmed through.
What can you dip frozen soft pretzels in? You can dip soft pretzels into so many things. My favorite store bought sauces are mustard of any variety (honey mustard, brown mustard, yellow mustard, dijon mustard, spicy mustard, horseradish mustard), ranch or cream cheese frosting.
If you’re feeling more ambitious you can try homemade sriracha mayo, raspberry honey mustard or a whipped honey butter are great too.
Who Is This Recipe For?
Do you have an air fryer, a love of freezer foods and are short on time, money or energy when it comes to cooking? These recipes are meant for you.
I have tested these recipes to help support disabled people, neurodivergent people, people with mental health issues, low income people and families including college students and single parents, single people, childfree people and anyone else who doesn’t want a complicated recipe from scratch with expensive and hard to find ingredients, a lot of dishes or lots of prepping and standing at the stove.
Use this recipe as a building block to nourish you and your loved ones. You’re doing great!
- Soft pretzels - use your favorite brand, the recipe was tested with Superpretzel brand
- Pretzel salt - use the salt that comes with the pretzel or swap it out with your favorite topping
- Water - this helps keep the pretzel salt or toppings to stay on the pretzel
See recipe card below for specific quantities.
Do you need to thaw frozen pretzels before cooking? No, you can cook frozen soft pretzels from frozen without thawing them. Cook time is based on using a frozen pretzel.
How do you make soft pretzels in the air fryer? Start by preheating your air fryer to 360F for at least three minutes. Next, run one or two frozen pretzels under water briefly. Sprinkle pretzel salt or your favorite toppings. Place the pretzels in a single layer in the air fryer basket and cook for two to three minutes. Remove carefully and dip into your favorite sauce.
How long do you cook frozen pretzels in the air fryer? Cook frozen soft pretzels for two to three minutes in the air fryer, depending on your desired doneness. Soft pretzels are done when they are warmed through and golden brown.
How many pretzels can you make at once? You can make as many pretzels as you can fit in one layer in your air fryer. In my six quart air fryer I can cook two pretzels at the same time. It is important to cook the pretzels in one layer to have them cook evenly.
Do I need to add any oil to the pretzels? No, oil is necessary for this recipe. The pretzels shouldn’t stick to your air fryer basket.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer? I recommend preheating your air fryer as cook times are based on preheating your air fryer. A preheated air fryer cooks the food faster.
Hint: Run the soft pretzels under water to help the topping stick!
There is a wide range of different frozen soft pretzel products in the freezer section of your local grocery store. Frozen pretzel bites can be made the same way as the whole soft pretzels, just make sure they are in a single layer. It is important to avoid overfilling the basket to get an even cook.
Any of the frozen pretzel products (like cheese filled frozen pretzels, frozen pretzel dogs and frozen pretzel rods) can be made in the air fryer. However, these may take more time to cook. Adjust cooking time as necessary, always starting with less time. Things in the air fryer can go from underdone to overdone quickly if you’re not paying attention.
Soft pretzels come with the coarse pretzel salt that is delicious but I also recommend changing up the toppings every now and again. Try the following after wetting the pretzel
- Cajun seasoning
- Dry ranch seasoning
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Nutritional yeast
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Butter with garlic and parmesan (replace water with melted butter and then add garlic powder and shredded parmesan cheese)
An air fryer is an ideal cooking appliance to make frozen soft pretzels because it doesn’t heat up your house, it’s quick to preheat and doesn’t take any babysitting or flipping. If you need to, you can sit down while it’s cooking to rest.
Cook soft pretzels from frozen in a single layer for best cooking results.
Air Fryer Frozen Soft Pretzel
- 1-2 Frozen soft pretzels
- Pretzel salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 360F for at least 3 minutes.
- While preheating, run 1 to 2 frozen pretzels under some water so the surface is wet. Add your preferred amount of pretzel salt so it sticks to the wet pretzel. If you want to try new toppings, replace the salt with your preferred toppings.
- Place topping coated soft pretzels in a single layer in your air fryer. Cook for 2-3 minutes (3 minutes is more well done) or until warmed through.
- Remove carefully from the air fryer and use your favorite dipping sauce if desired.
- Cook frozen pretzels in a single layer to ensure even cooking. It is best to do batches if you have more than 2 pretzels to cook at once.
- Each air fryer is a little different, much like an oven. I recommend starting with less time and adjusting as necessary.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat or seafood
- Wash hands after touching raw meat or seafood
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove